Maelab is a laboratory to focus on
– Green building design, Renewable energy in building
– Computed environment design
All applicant are expected to have
– Strong passion to study
– Good experience of study and research, Excellent knowledge of building physics
– Very good skill of computer aided design, building simulation, programming.
– Good English skill (Indispensable) / Japanese skill (Desirable)
For applicants for “Researcher before Master course”
There are many applicants for our lab but we have the limit of acceptance. We have to select some of all application.
Please provide us the material we can judge your ability like below just before 2 month before application deadline. After that, I will inform you the result of our judgement.
– Score of Academic, English, Japanese
– Portfolio of your architectural design.
– Certificate of your skill about CAD, building simulation, programming.
– Summary of Research activity.
Expected knowledge before entering Maelab
All of you need to have the knowledge in the books like “Book You MUST read (English)”.
You are expected to have good knowledge about CAD and BEM tools like Revit, FormIt, IES-VE, Design Builder, Energy-Plus, Radiance.
How Buildings Work
This book covers all aspect of building.Many chapters have been spared for passive design.Very attractive drawing. Very understandable.
Introduction to Architectural Science
All students have to understand all chapters in detail.
Part1 HEAT: the thermal environment
Part2 LIGHT: the luminous environment
Building performance simulation for design and operation
There are some books referring to the energy simulation.
This book is one of best.
About Japanese skill
There are many foreign students in Maelab. It is possible for you to carry out research without Japanese skill. But it will restrict your activity. Some cases you are also required to do procedure in Japanese. Basic knowledge of Japanese is indispensable. Tutors and Professors are not your secretary. You need to do your procedure by yourself.
In the “Japanese Language Proficiency Test”, You are required to get N4 levels at least. If you want to join in research activity with other Japanese students, N2 level will be required. Then you are strongly recommended to read “必読書（日本語）” in latter part of this paper.
Reference (in Japanese)